Saturday, December 6, 2008

More Information for your brain

The human brain is amazing… It can do anything. The human mind is endless, greater in size than the infinite universe. It grows and adapts to anything. I know tons of studies have been done on how much information we (humans) process in the course of a day compared to just a couple decades ago. Information, knowledge truly is power and we crave it… unlike any other creature on the face of the earth. That is what separates us from the apes, not an opposable thumb.

How many times have you sat with the TV on while reading a book or surfing the internet. Some people’s mind craves information so badly they need it just to relax… do you sleep with a TV or radio on? I do. We don’t even need meaningful information… just something going into our mind… Hell as a I sit here typing this my music player is tracking through the tunes on my computer as I keep one eye towards the TV watching ESPN highlights I’ve already seen four times this morning.

And we can process it so quickly… well some people do.

For instance… searching the internet for the “first car accident” you’ll find a couple different accounts. I’m talking about the first car accident in history. One talks about the first fender bender between a car and a horse and buggy, another is an account of a car driving into a wall. So how does this relate to how humans process information? Well I’m sure these accidents happened at speeds under 25 mph and the cars involved were probably the only car around for hundreds of miles.

Compare that to today, a lot of the time a person can drive down a busy city street or freeway with hundreds of other cars generally going faster than the posted speed limit, jamming out to music, reading road signs, street signs and billboards… most of the time talking on a cell phone or sending a TXT message. I’ve done it myself. I mean there are A LOT of split second decisions to be made when driving a car down the road at 70mph. It seems mundane now, but it’s pretty amazing when you look back at how we got here and what we’re capable of.

All that being said…. When I’m looking for an address when I drive, I still turn down the radio.

No comments: