Monday, March 24, 2008

Gadgets for my Pocket


Gadgets for my Pocket
Originally uploaded by bigluketx
These days I’m carrying a couple new gadgets. The Sprint Palm Centro smart phone and the first gen Zune 30GB Multi-media player.
First the Centro, I’ve been using this phone for about 3 weeks and the more I use it, the more I like it. I’ve been very happy with it so far. As a phone I’ve had no dead spots, reception issues or dropped calls. As a smart phone I’ve been extremely happy with it, I’m still figuring out how to use each of the little bells and whistles. But I as figure out each one and start to use it I just like it more.
Here are a couple of the high lights.
1. Chat Style Text Log – it keeps texts in a conversations layout so you don’t have to jump back and forth from the inbox to outbox. It makes texting a breeze

2. Sprint Mobile Mail – One place to access all my e-mail when I’m on the move. Right now I have my work account and personal Gmail accounts setup. I’m not sure what the maximum number of accounts you can config on Mobile Mail is but it handles both of these accounts very well.

3. Google Maps- I love this app on any platform I can get it and like it a lot on my previous phone. But on the Centro it’s even better.

The only two low points are battery life could be better, but that’s with any phone. The second is the keyboard is a bit small to keep the phone as whole as small as possible, but really with some use I’ve gotten a lot faster with it and tend not to even notice it now.

Now on to the Zune.
Last week I picked-up a first generation 30GB Zune for $199, not a bad price for a full blown 30GB Multimedia player. So far I’ve been very happy with it. The Zune software is awesome and the player itself plays just about anything. The interface is very easy to pickup and start using right away and things like wireless syncing require almost no setup and just worked…. For a Microsoft product this is frickin’ amazing.
One of the cool things the Zune software does is keep track of plays and shows you stats about artists and songs played. It’s nerdy but I like it! Then once you’ve linked your Zune to a user account it can automatically populate a little web gadget that you can stick on a blog, website, MySpace, Facebook, etc… to share what kind of music you’re listening to with the world.

The BigLukeIsAwsome Score
Centro – 5 Stars for Awesome
Zune – 5 Stars for Awesome

No comments: